Blackened chicken is made with boneless skinless chicken breast seasoned with various blackening herbs and spices which include; paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, and other spices, searing in a hot pan, and after that baked in the oven.
This chicken tastes very great and spicy and it goes with anything and it is also very easy to make just 30 minutes of your time, is that not great?
This blackened chicken is a recipe anyone shouldn’t miss out on it. It is a hearty, protein-rich dish that is flavorful and very delicious. You can choose to pair it with casseroles and salads for a balanced diet.
To blacken your chicken the meat should be coated with oil, usually butter, and some spices and then, seared quickly in a hot skillet. Doing this will create a black crust on the surface that is neither charred nor well-cooked.
What Does Blackened Chicken Mean?
For some people who don’t know what blacken chicken means it’s not something difficult. Blackened chicken is actually a dish originally made with butter and cajun spices to coat the meat and then, seared in a hot skillet.
In doing this the coating browns and the spices get charred, giving the white meat an enticing brown-black color that you will love. It can be eaten without anything or you can eat with salad and wraps, as I said earlier it can go with anything.
Is Blackened Chicken Unhealthy?
When it comes to the blackened chicken we use chicken breast to prepare it and chicken breast is the leanest part of the bird and it contains relatively little fat, and the boneless and skinless type is being used.
Blackened chicken is high in protein, low in carbohydrates and one 8-oz serving is about 224 calories. And if you are on a keto diet, this recipe is perfect for you but if you’re not on a keto diet it is not going to be a bad thing for you to still enjoy it also.
Read also: Easy Chicken Gravy Recipe
What is Blackened Chicken made of?
Blackened chicken is not only made of boneless chicken but it is made of other ingredients such as; cumin, onion powder, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
But you can add other spices of your choice. Just mix them all together in a bowl so that they get distributed evenly on the meat.
How do you Blackened Chicken?
You can possibly use the grill to cook this blackened chicken. Just be careful and make sure the temperature is high enough to sear the crust and make it cook well.
Read also: Easy Chicken Kiev Recipe
How to Prevent the Blackened Chicken from Drying out?
Chicken breast has so little fats in it, which makes it dry out faster compared to thighs and other fatty parts. To prevent this chicken from drying do not overcook the white meat, or else, you are risking the minimal amount of moisture in it to go out.
Can you Store Blackened Chicken?
Blackened chicken can be stored, you can refrigerate the cooked meat once it has completely cooled in an airtight, single-portion container and it will keep for you to three days. Also, just ensure to reheat it up to the internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Read also: Chicken a la King Recipe
What do you Serve with Blackened Chicken?
As I said before that it goes well with anything. You can serve with vegetables and fruits for a well-balanced meal or with creamy cucumber salad or any other salad. Leftovers can be used for pasta dishes, salads, or wraps.
Recipes for Blackened Chicken
- Before preparing all the ingredients, start preheating the oven so that when you are done with everything, the oven is nicely hot at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the chicken with clean water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Whisk all the spices that you want to use together that is cumin, paprika, thyme, onion powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Apply oil on the meat on all sides, and dredge the meat onto the spices, covering all areas.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet until smoking hot, searing each side of the meat for about 30 seconds.
- After blackening, put the skillet in the oven to continue cooking thoroughly for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Before taking it out check-in if the required internal temperature of the meat of 165 degrees Fahrenheit has been reached.
- Let the flavors meld for 5 minutes before slicing.
Ingredients/Seasoning for Blackened Chicken
- 1/2 Ib. each of 4 boneless skinless chicken
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
How long does it take to Blackened Chicken?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
How to Prepare Blackened Chicken
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the seasonings; cumin, paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Dry the chicken breast with paper towels and coat with two teaspoons of canola oil on both sides. Toss both sides in the seasoning mixture made, pressing with your fingers to help the coating adhere.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until smoking hot, for about 5 minutes. Add just about 1 tablespoon of canola oil and brush it well over the skillet.
- Add the chicken breast and cook for about 30 minutes on each side to blacken, then transfer the skillet into the oven to finish cooking, for another 12-15 minutes. The chicken should be no longer pink in the center and the internal temperature should reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken to a platter, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Slice the chicken and garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream or any salad or vegetables on the side and enjoy.
- Calories: 248
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Protein: 25
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Cholesterol: 72
- Sodium: 718
- Potassium: 538
- Fiber: 2
- Sugar: 0
- Vitamin A: 1850
- Vitamin C: 2.2
- Calcium: 39
- Ion: 2.7
The blackened chicken recipe is easy and quick to make and a perfect dish to add to your weekly meal rotation. Spiced and cooked in a delicious spice mix, this easy chicken recipe will be a hit with your whole family.
This blackened chicken recipe is made with skinless chicken breast, thyme, cilantro, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning herbs, ground pepper, and canola oil.
Blackened chicken is not only awesome but it doesn’t take much of your time to prepare it. It is simple and it goes well with cucumber salad, juice, vegetables, and anything you want to use it with.