The easiest way ever to make a perfect hot water cornbread recipe is what I’m going to show you here, a series of cornbread recipes I’m going to share with you guys today is how to make hot water cornbread. So I have to tell you the story behind it, my grandmother always made hot water cornbread.
Which was always the best for me in the world as we all. And I was talking to her one day and I said grandmother when I make my hot water cornbread, it doesn’t come outright.
Hot Water Cornbread Recipe
So most traditional recipes call for you to boil your water and then put your hot water in your bowl. So I was telling my grandmother, mine never comes out. As always sticky and my granny left me, see it, Baby, make it on the stove. So, I’m gonna give you guys a trick about making hot water cornbread. Before we start let’s check out the ingredients.
Read also: Fried Eggplant Recipe
Ingredients for Hot Water Cornbread Recipe
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 21/4 boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- 4 to 5 ice cubes
- 2 cups of cold water
- 1/2 cup of frying oil
- 1 medium-size bowl_for ice water coating
- 1 medium-size bowl_ for measured cornmeal
- 1/4 cup scoop or large tablespoon_for forming patties
- 1 medium-size skillet
- 1 medium-size saucepan
Read also: Best Crab Boil Recipe
How to make Hot Water Cornbread
- So the first thing that you’re going to do is you’re going to have your hot water boiling. You see I have a rapid little here and then you’re going to take your cornmeal, which I have right here to change my hand and you’re going to stir your cornmeal inside your water.
- You going to do a quick stir, it looks lumpy, but don’t worry about it. Just keeps trying to kind of thicken up. What you have to do is you’re going to turn your fire down to medium and you’re going to start.
- If you need a little water you can add but Mine is looking really good. I’m going to push this through here. And you’re going to cook this till you give that like transduction, that clear look, I can’t say the word.
- Here’s a cornmeal beginning of my firearm low. Wanted to be almost like a little ball. Then what you’re going to do is you’re going to add a little bit of sugar. No, I like it a little sweet. You can add a little bit of salt.
- A teaspoon of salt. And then my grandmother always added just a little dollop of butter, just she just stir. Then, you know, and you wanted to be like almost where you can tweak it, you know, push the spoon through it. But you want that for a meal cooked you want to make sure the cornmeal is closed and I always taste it. See if it’s sweet enough, it got enough butter in it.
- Now I said but I want to add a little bit more sugar to mine, just a little bit more sugar and I’m going to add just a little bit more butter play with it. I like to just do a little ice, cubes in my water, and cold water is going to give you a really crispy hot water cornbread. This is thickened up a little bit for me and I’m going to add just a little water to this just to make it a little bit more pliable. And a little bit more water and you don’t want to add too much water because once you put it in, if it’s not tight enough, then when you drop it in your Skillet it spreads apart. So you want to make sure that stays sticky.
- Then what I do is I grab my scooper and this is hot. So I grab my scooper and then I wet my hands in the bowl of ice water completely immerse to get my hands cold, this prevents your hands from burning from the hot cornmeal mixture.
- Next, take 1 scoop of hot water patty into a round or oval shape, flatten it out. Some people make an oblong hot water cornbread. Some people make theirs round one, depends on how you’re feeling. I grew up on an oblong cornbread, but I’m going to make this one around them because of my scooper.
- Coat patty with ice water as you are forming a patty. Patties should be about 3/4 inches thick. This will ensure you get a crispy fried patty.
- Preheat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Do not cook patties on high heat. They will burn if the heat is too hot. Cook patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until slightly golden.
- Place fried hot water cornbreads on a paper toweled plate to absorb excess oil. Now you are ready to go down memory lane with every bite.
They go well with your favorite greens, candied yams, and I’m just going to say it fried chicken.
Hot water cornbread tastes so special and creamy. They are easy to make and serves time. If you want to make a wonderful tasty cornbread follow this recipe and I know you will make a nice one out of this recipe.