How to make fried cabbage is quite easy, it is an Irish side dish made by frying cabbage with onions, salt, pepper, and a bit of paprika to add a smoky flavor and served predominantly with corned beef, grilled chicken, pork chops, and even pot roast.
Fried cabbage is deliciously sweet and it is super easy to make with just a few minutes of your time and with few ingredients also. Just 25 minutes your time your mouthwatering fried cabbage is ready to serve.
What you should know about Fried Cabbage Recipe
Fried cabbage can be made in various ways I like pan-frying it with bacon and onions, it gives a special taste to your fried cabbage. I like to keep spices very simple also, I do use pepper, salt, and a little paprika and it still tastes super delicious. The best thing about fried cabbage is that it’s inexpensive and reheats perfectly fine in your microwave.
In this recipe, you can use whatever type of cabbage that you like be it turkey or even vegan. But just remember that turkey or even vegan is not very oily and additional oil or butter must be added when using any of it. Also, use a non-stick pan so that none of the ingredients sticks to the pan.
Some people don’t like this particular vegetable (cabbage). But if you are not fun with cabbage, give this recipe a try, and trust me you will fall in love with it because it’s super amazing and you won’t stop craving for more. The flavor alone will change your life.
Read also: Locally Made Okra Soup Recipe
Health Benefits of Cabbage
- Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Cabbage contains powerful antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation.
- Your body needs vitamin C for many important functions, and it is a potent antioxidant. Red cabbage is particularly high in this nutrient, providing about 85% of the RDI per cup.
- Cabbage contains insoluble fiber, which keeps the digestive system healthy by providing fuel for friendly bacteria and promoting regular bowel movements.
- They contain powerful pigments called anthocyanins, which have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- They also contain potassium which helps keep blood pressure within a healthy range. Increasing your intake of potassium-rich foods like cabbage may help lower high blood pressure levels.
- Cabbage is a good source of soluble fiber and plant sterols. These substances have been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol.
- They are a versatile vegetable that is easy to incorporate into your diet.
- Contains vitamin K which is critical for blood clotting. Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K1, with 85% of the RDI in a cup.
Read also: How to make Garlic Butter
How to Pan-fry Cabbage
Firstly, melt your butter in a large pan over medium heat. Then, add shredded cabbage, pepper, salt, and saute for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender and that’s it. Don’t overcook the cabbage or else the texture becomes very soft and ”mushy” and it is just weird like that. In this recipe, I also included additional ingredients like bacon and onion but not all recipe does that.
Note: Before you add the onion, finely chop onions because they blend together much better with the cabbage.
- 1/3 cup of onion (finely chopped)
- 5-6 thick bacon strips (cut into small)
- 1/2 head of green cabbage (shredded or roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Pepper to taste
- salt to taste
You can add in a few other ingredients to fried cabbage make it your own:
- Smoked sausage instead of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of sugar (brown or white). For keto readers, use a substitute sweetener, like swerve or Latvia.
Read also: Best 11 Ways on How to Thicken Soup
How to make Fried Cabbage Recipe
- Firstly, cook bacon in a non-stick pan over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spatula to remove the bacon and place it on a plate with a slotted spoon. Do not discard the bacon grease and drippings from the pan.
- Using the same pan, add onion and cook until translucent for about 8 minutes.
- Add cabbage, pepper, salt, paprika and mix everything together. Cook for like 7 minutes or until the cabbage becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add your bacon back into the pan and mix it together with the cabbage and then served warm with corned beef, pot roast, grilled chicken, and even pork chops.
How to Store Fried Cabbage
Leftover fried cabbage can be stored in an airtight container inside the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Note: You can also make your fried cabbage vegetarian by omitting the bacon. Make sure to use 2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- Calories: 160kcal
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 5g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Sodium: 203mg
- Potassium: 266mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g
- Vitamin A: 175IU
- Vitamin C: 42.5mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
Fried cabbage is an Irish side dish made by frying cabbage with onions, and a bit of paprika to add a smoky flavor and served with corned beef, grilled chicken, pork chops, and even pot roast. This fried cabbage is deliciously sweet and it is super easy to make with just 25 minutes of your time.
The best thing about it is that it is less expensive with only a few ingredients needed. Fried cabbage can be made in various ways but I did the pan-frying method in this recipe, it gives a special taste to your fried cabbage.
And also I like to keep spices very simple also, I did use pepper, salt, and a little paprika and the taste still came out deliciously sweet. This recipe is quite easy and simple to try so don’t miss it and also you can prepare it at anytime that is comfortable for you. Try it and you will love it…Enjoy!