It’s that time of year again when we get to break out all of the traditional holiday dishes with a good recipe for figgy pudding, we have our egg and our fruit cake, our Christmas Eve pork pies, and then there’s figgy pudding. Many of the traditional Christmas delights have been forgotten in the modern era but thanks to that song.
What is Figgy Pudding?
Not everyone knows about figgy pudding, So I will give you a summary about figgy pudding. Referencing from Wikipedia, Figgy Pudding otherwise known as Piggy-Pudding is a vague term used for a class of traditional Christmas dishes usually forming sweet & savory cakes, containing a sour-sweet creamy layer of honey, fruits, and nuts.
They’re demanding to be brought, quite simply figgy pudding is wonderful. It’s delicious and it’s something you should certainly try for yourself. Now one, the good thing about figgy pudding is it’s incredibly easy to make all we have to do is mix all the ingredients together in a huge bowl. Pack them into a dish and steam them over boiling water for 4 hours.
Read also: How to make Garlic Butter Sauce
Recipe for Figgy Pudding
This dessert is so easy. Anyone can do this. Looks like a cake but it’s actually a British pudding. The major difference between a cake and including is that while a cake is made with flour and it rises in the oven. When you bake it, a pudding is actually made from bread or bread crumbs. It’s also much softer than a cake.
You may already know about Brent Berry and that’s what figgy pudding is. Its bread pudding with a lot of fruit added to it especially figs and if you’ve ever had Fig Newton cookies, then you have a hint, it would have piggy pudding tastes like except that you serve it hot and service sweet sauce over it and that hard sauce is often made with rum or brandy or other liquors for this recipe.
I’ll admit I’m leaving the alcohol out because I want to figgy pudding that you can serve to kids. You can add as much rum or brandy to your pudding if you want and that may even get more people to eat it, especially if you’re throwing in adults, only Christmas party to important gradients to a figgy pudding, are things.
Read also: Fried Eggplant Recipe
Ingredients for Figgy Pudding Recipe
- 13/4 cups buttermilk
- 12 ounces dried Calimyrna figs, coarsely chopped
- 11/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 21/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 11/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 package sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange-vanilla flavoring (optional)
Read also: Best Crab Boil Recipe
How to Prepare Figgy Pudding Recipe
- It is hardened beef fat, and it’s more solid than most other fats. And because of this, I like to use an antique meat grinder to grind it up after this. I like to run the dragon things through the grinder as well. This helps to get a lot of extra fat out of the grinder and makes it much easier. Cleanup, also dried figs are very tough and they’re very hard to chop up. So this Grinder goes to work easily.
- Once the figs and Sewer ready, it’s time to begin mixing our ingredients together. All we need to do is add them all to one, huge bowl and stir them all together into the pudding base.
- Next up, we prepare the pudding for stealing they sell fancy putting basins in the store, but this is a nonstick pan. This pudding is much heavier than Kicking back. That’s another difference between putting in a cake. You can pack your pudding dish, all the way to the top, because this pudding isn’t going to rise.
- Once the pudding is ready for cooking. All you need to do is use a large stockpot, one, that’s big enough for you. Putting dish. Be sure to use a steaming Basket or a trivet to raise to Dish about the bottom of the pot, this will help to pump water to completely cover
- . In the steaming basket, we simply bring the water to a boil place to put in addition to the pot, cover it and that’s it. Now, we went to putting Steam for a full four hours, set our timer to refill, the water every hour,
- While the pudding is steaming, we prepare the buttercream hard sauce. This is an old-fashioned topping for British pudding that is made with lots of butter and lots of powdered sugar. Of course, it’s called hard sauce because usually has rum or brandy mixed in with it. And if you’re serving this to adults, it will certainly make you’re putting something to be remembered.
- At last. The pudding is ready So it feels much softer than a cake. For at least 10 minutes to let it settle and become more solid. Then, at last, the taste of this is just Indescribable, it’s not a fig newton and it’s not a cake. It has a more spongy consistency than a cake, but the bigs and citrus and cinnamon young combined with them. The buttercream heart sauce. It’s a taste. That’s Miliar since you’ve tasted all of these before, but coming together like this, this is something truly unique.
- All I can say is once you’ve tried figgy pudding, you’ll be just like people singing that song. Yes. You want them to bring some right here and you won’t go until you get some.
Now, obviously the Hollywood burn and it’s one of those rare instances when Dickens doesn’t get his domestic details, quite right. But on the whole, his knowledge of cooking and housekeeping. What went into a Christmas pudding, was pretty good for a Victorian man.
And of course, we are indebted to Dickens for really making us feel that Christmas pudding, belongs to Christmas Day and it’s something that we can all share and all enjoy on the same day together.
Figgy pudding is known as Christmas pudding for some people. This pudding is easy to make, anyone can make it. It tastes very delicious and even more soft than a cake. It is not difficult to make and it’s full of goodness. Why not try this pudding for Christmas with family and friends.