Seven-layer salad as the name implies is a colorful combination of seven layers of ingredients like tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, sweet peas, hard-boiled eggs, bacon pieces, sharp cheddar cheese, cucumbers, and onions. It is a traditional American dish. The salad is topped with a mayonnaise-based dressing and at times sour cream is added to it.
The seven-layer salad is crunchy, bright, and delicious. It is very easy to prepare and it is packed with high protein since it’s prepared with eggs, bacon, and cheese. Seven-layer salad dressing has an amazing flavor. This salad is perfect for parties, picnics, and potlucks in fact any party without salad layer salad is missing a lot.
As I said before seven-layer salad is a traditional American dish that is served in a glass bowl that’s transparent so that you can see all of the colorful, beautiful layers. Trust me this seven-layer salad is really mouth-watering and it’s very charming and attractive.
Seven Layer Salad Dressing
The first step to take when you are making a seven-step salad is to mix up the dressing. After mixing up the dressing you allow the dressing to rest while you prepare the rest of the salad. This helps the flavors to blend together beautifully.
When making the dressing mayonnaise is preferred, a little sour cream, a touch of sugar for flavor, and parmesan cheese. I can say parmesan cheese adds amazing flavor and richness to this recipe.
Read also: Egg Foo Young Recipe
Picture of Seven Layer Salad
What are the ingredients used in a Seven Layer Salad?
When making seven-layer salad I think about the color, I love my seven-layer salad to look attractive and pretty. The second thing I think about is protein, one egg has 13 essential vitamins and minerals, with no sugar and no carbs. Adding eggs to your seven-layer salad is a great way to add protein and other important dietary needs to this salad. Here are the seven layers:
- Hard-boiled eggs
Those are the seven layers, let us talk briefly about each one.
- Hard-boiled eggs: When choosing eggs to boil be sure you are using eggs that are about 7-10 days old so that you will not have trouble with the shell sticking to the eggs and not coming off cleanly. Fresh eggs are hard to peel. You can also place the boiled hot eggs into a bowl of ice water to cool them quickly to make it easier to peel off, you can allow them to sit in the ice water for like 5 minutes then remove and peel them. You can also use leftover eggs in this recipe.
- Lettuce: Adding lettuce to your seven-layer salad adds to the pretty green color on the bottom layer of the bowl. This seven-layer salad traditionally calls for iceberg lettuce. You can layer iceberg lettuce with baby spinach, use spring lettuce mix or romaine if you like.
- Tomato: You can use grape tomatoes that you slice into half. You can use sliced Roma tomatoes if you like because they are small.
- Peas: I prefer to use frozen peas rather than canned peas. Using frozen peas will have better color and they are more firm than canned peas. You don’t have to cook the peas, just let them thaw and add them to the salad.
- Cheddar: I prefer using freshly shredded cheddar cheese. You can use a mild cheddar if you choose but I prefer the taste of sharp cheddar.
- Bacon: When using bacon in your seven-layer salad make sure the bacon is drained, crumbled, and cooled before adding it to your salad.
- Dressing: This is the perfect amount of dressing for me. If you are afraid it won’t be enough, you could make a little more and serve it on the side.
Can you make a Seven Layer Salad in Advance?
Yes, you can easily make this salad one day before serving it. Make sure the dressing covers the top and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
Read also: Easy and Delicious Roasted Veggies
How long can a Seven Layer Salad last?
Seven-layer salad can stay fresh for about 24 hours. I prefer to eat any leftovers the same day but if I add a little lettuce the next day, it may still be ok to eat.
How do you serve a Seven Layer Salad?
Seven-layer salad is often served in a glass bowl or large pan so the layers can be observed. You can also make it individual servings in wide-mouth mason jars or in smaller single-serving-sized glass bowls.
What goes well with a Seven Layer Salad?
Grilled chicken, chicken burgers, and smoked turkey go well with the seven-layer salad.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 11/4 cups of mayonnaise
- 1 pound maple-flavored bacon
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 large hardboiled eggs
- 2 cups of frozen green peas (thawed)
- 1-pint grape tomatoes (cut into half)
- 2/3 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce (rinsed, dried, and chopped)
Recipes for Seven Layers Salad
- Firstly cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until evenly brown and crisp. Leave the bacon to drain on paper towels. crumble and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan cheese, and sugar. Cover and put inside a refrigerator until you are ready to top the salad.
- Layer the chopped lettuce, tomatoes, peas, eggs, cheese into a large glass bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, covering as much of the top as possible.
- Then sprinkle the top with bacon.
- Cover and put inside the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- If you don’t want to use peas, substitute with fresh broccoli.
- When adding sweeteners, always start out with a small amount and adjust as necessary.
- If desired, make more of the dressing to serve on the side for those who will like more dressing.
- Calories: 519 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Cholesterol: 160mg
- Sodium: 672mg
- Potassium: 362mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 5g
- Vitamin C: 16.1mg
- Vitamin A: 1210IU
- Calcium: 271mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
Note: The calories shown are based on the recipe serving 12 people, with 1 serving being 1/12 of the salad. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.
Seven-layer salad is an American dish with a colorful combination of seven layers of ingredients as the name implies. The seven layers of ingredients include tomatoes, lettuce, peas, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, cheddar, and dressing.
Seven-layer salad is topped with a mayonnaise-based dressing and sometimes sour cream added. Seven-layer salad is often served in a glass bowl or large pan so the layers can be observed. It can go well with smoked turkey, grilled chicken, and chicken burgers.
This lovely salad is packed with a lot of protein because of the eggs in it. 1 egg has 13 essential vitamins and minerals with no sugar and no carbs not only that but other important dietary needs to this salad. This salad is very simple to make and doesn’t take much time.